Monday, November 19, 2012

Oh Canada!

I went up to Vancouver, Canada last week for my sister's doctoral defense. My parents and I flew to Seattle and then we rented a car and drove to B.C.
My parents at Skagit River Brewery


Erich stayed behind to work and watch the little dude while I was gone. I considered getting Wyatt a passport and taking him with me. After consulting my sister Kristina,  I decided against bringing him. He couldn't be there during her actual defense and I wasn't comfortable having a stranger watch him.  Plus I felt after 14.5 months I deserved a little adult mommy time :)

We check-in to the Holiday Inn in Vancouver where we met my sister. 
 













 We walked only a couple blocks to this cute little family sushi place and had yummy sushi.  
My sister and Dad at dinner.

Ever since I was pregnant I've been craving sushi.  Boulder is known for great burgers not great sushi.  However, Vancouver has awesome sushi, so I was really looking forward to enjoying some during my trip and let me tell you it didn't disappoint!  We feasted ourselves and it was by far our cheapest meal there!
The next day we were up early and heading to campus with my sister.  The UBC campus is very beautiful, unfortunately I didn't get any great pictures of it.  We listened to her external
evaluator give a lecture in the morning and then we went to another building to set-up prior to her presentation.

Then at 12:30 she made her 30 minute presentation of her dissertation.  Afterward she had another hour and a half of fielding tough questions from the panel.  She answered all of them very thoroughly.  I always knew my sister was a smarty pants, but witnessing this life accomplishment reinforced all the reasons I've always looked up to my big sister!  The rest of the day was filled with drinks and laughter!




My sister and brother-in-law.





My sister and her two mentors/supervisors.

 On Saturday it was still raining so our plans to walk the sea wall had to be altered.  Instead we went out for Pho for lunch, drove by the ocean shore, and did some souvenir shopping.


My mom's first taste of bubble tea.




 Then that night we toasted some champagne to celebrate and had a wonderful dinner at the Keg steakhouse.   The next day we crossed the boarder and flew home from Seattle.  What a wonderful trip with the fam! 
I couldn't be prouder of sister
Kristina Uban Shepherd P.H.D. !





No comments:

Post a Comment